|Vidikovac Sv. Jure (1762m) |
|Vošac (1422 m) |
|Planinarski dom Vošac |
|Restoran Vrata Biokova |
|Ravna Vlaška (1228 m) |
|Vidikovac Štrbac (1338m) |
|Crkva sv. Jure |
|Crkva sv. Ilije |
Established in 1981, the Biokovo Nature Park is the only nature park in central Dalmatia. Its highest peak is Sveti Jure (Saint George), at 1762 m above sea level. Along with Velebit, Biokovo is the most significant centre of endemic plant species. This nature park is rich in plant and animal species, as well as pits, caves, crevices and rocks. The Mediterranean and mountain vegetations are dominant in the park – there are over 1,500 plant and animal species, some of which are endemic (Uskolisna zečina and Biokovsko zvonce). As for wildlife, the park abounds with a number of bird and reptile species, and 30 species of mammals such as bats, chamois, wild boar, dormouse, wolf and the like.
Category: Animals and nature,
Trafficking on the Biokovo road is your own responsibility!
GPS coordinates: 1. Car entrance to the Biokovo Nature Park: 43.25780, 017.08067 (43°15’28.1″N, 017°04’50.4″E)
2. Point Sveti Jure (1762 m): 43.34268 017.05284 (43°20’33.6″N, 017°03’10.2″E) –this is the highest peak of Biokovo. A road leads to the peak. There are parking spaces, but no restaurant
3. The Church of St. George is also located on the summit of Biokovo: 43.341768, 017.054337 (43°20’30.4″N 17°03’15.6″E) – can be reached by car
4. Point Vošac (1421 m): 43.310937, 17.046240 (43°18’39.4″N, 017°02’46.5″E) – it can be partly reached by car, there is a 25 minute walk, you park your car near the Vošac mountain lodge. There is also a beautiful viewpoint, from which you have an amazing view of the whole of Makarska
5. Mountain lodge Vošac (1422m): 43.312709, 017.051994 (43°18’45.8″N, 017°03’07.2″E) – it can be reached by car, here you can refresh with a drink, it also offers overnight accommodation
6. Viewpoint Štrbac (1338): 43.309274, 017.048567 (43°18’33.4″N, 017°02’54.8″E)
7. Church of St. Elijah: 43.259056, 017.103356 (43°15’32.6″N, 017°06’12.1″E)
8. Restaurant Vrata Biokova: 43.259439, 017.102415 (43°15’34.0″N, 017°06’08.7″E)
9. Viewpoint Ravna Vlaška (1228m): 43.285483, 017.084845 (43°17’07.7″N, 017°05’05.4″E)
10. Viewpoint Štrbina (1338): 43.309274, 017.048567 (43°18’33.4″N, 017°02’54.8″E)
If you go to Biokovo on foot, it is best to go from the village Makar (around 2 km from the center of Makarska). The coordinates of the beginning of the footpath to the peak Vošac are: 43.300818, 017.029689 (43°18’02.9″N, 017°01’46.9″E) – required time is 3h.
It takes around 2h from Vošac to the point Sv. Jure (St. George) if you take the mountain path, and 1:30h if you take the asphalt path.
Address: Biokovo Nature Park
If you are driving with a car, show this translation to the taxi driver:
Molim Vas da me odvezete do Parka prirode Biokovo, na najviši vrh Sv. Jure. Hvala!
You must also show to the taxi driver that he must turn on the taximeter:
Molim Vas uključite taksimetar. Hvala!
Please can you tell me how to find this sight:
Molim Vas da me uputite prema Parku prirode Biokovo, najvišem vrhu Sv. Jure. Hvala!
You might be also interested in: