Old town of Herceg Novi (Herceg Novi-Montenegro)
The most famous attraction of Herceg Novi is the Old town and we recommend that You visit it. At the entrance to the Bay of Bokokotor, Bosnian King Tvrtko I. Kotromanović founded Herceg Novi in 1382. The city was originally called St Stephen, and then called simply Novi. In the 15th century, Prince Stjepan Vukšić added his title “herceg” to the towns name and has been since then known as Herceg Novi. During the 15th and 16th centuriy the Turks conquered the city several times, but it was also under the rule of the Spaniards and the Venetians until the fall of the Venetian Republic in 1797. After that, the Austrians, the Russians, the French and then the Austrians again ruled the city until 1918. During the First and Second World War II it was under Italian and German occupation. In the Old town, history, culture and art meet in one place where You can experience past times in a completely different way.
Rabbits say You must visit this the most famous attractions in Old town (ai it follows):
1. The fortress and Kanli tower, GPS: 42.452599, 018.538150 (42°27’09.4″N, 018°32’17.3″E)
2. The barracks with the Old town clock, GPS: 42.451699, 018.537215 (42°27’06.1″N, 018°32’14.0″E)
3. The Church of St Michael Archangel, GPS: 42.451516, 018.537618 (42°27’05.5″N, 018°32’15.4″E)
4. The Church of St Jeronim, GPS: 42.450574, 018.537430 (42°27’02.1″N, 018°32’14.8″E),
5. The Church of St Leopold Mandić, GPS: 42.450206, 018.537290 (42°27’00.7″N, 018°32’14.2″E)
6. Forte Mare Fort, GPS: 42.450188, 018.536136 (42°27’00.7″N, 018°32’10.1″E).
Category: Old town, Crna Gora što posjetiti, Herceg Novi što posjetiti, Must visit, Museum-art-palace,
The Rabbit says if You don’t visit the Old town it is like You haven’t been to Herceg Novi. It is an ideal place to find an accommodation.
Old town, Herceg Novi 85340, Montenegro
42.451516, 018.537618 (42°27’05.5″N, 018°32’15.4″E)
GPS Coordinates: 42.451516, 018.537618 (42°27’05.5″N, 018°32’15.4″E)
Address: Old town, Herceg Novi 85340, Montenegro
If you are driving with a car, show this translation to the taxi driver:
Molim Vas da me odvezete do starog dijela grada Herceg Novog. Hvala!
You must also show to the taxi driver that he must turn on the taximeter:
Prosim Vas, vključite taksimeter. Hvala!
Please, can you tell me how to find this sight:
Molim Vas da me uputite prema starom gradu Herceg Novog. Hvala!
You might be also interested in: